Sunday, September 4, 2011

Another One Leaves the Motown Family Behind





You're all I need to get by.
Like the sweet morning dew, I took one look at you,
And it was plain to see,
you were my destiny. With my arms open wide,
I threw away my pride
I'll sacrifice for you
Dedicate my life to you
Lyrics from "You're All I Need to Get By"
Written and Composed by: Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson
Performed by: Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell




Nick Ashford was born and raised in Fair field, South Carolina and began singing and writing songs as child in his Baptist church choir. He met his wife Valerie Simpson in Harlem at White Rock Baptist Church in 1963. They were unsuccessful as a duo but managed to write and produced hit songs for other artist such as Ray Charles, The Shirelles, Maxine Brown, and Chuck Jackson as their career began. By 1966 they joined the Motown hit making machine and they began work with Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell and eventually Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, and other artists. He and his wife were inducted to the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2002.

His most celebrated and appreciated work are the Marvin and Tammi duets as well as Diana Ross's solo hits. Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson's most famous song they recorded together as a duo is "Solid." He leaves behind his wife, two daughters, and five brothers. He died after fighting a battle with throat cancer he was 70. Another member of the Motown family has left this old world behind. Rest in peace you will be missed thank you giving us timeless music.

No comments:

Post a Comment