Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cobhams Emmanuel Asuquo interview in UK

Ace music producer singer and avid songwriter Cobhams Emmanuel Asuquo is nothing short of a professional in the field of music. Although he is visually impaired, Cobhams’ works have given birth to different careers such as Asa and Bez through his Cobhams Asuquo Music Production (CAMP) outfit.

Having worked with a handful of artistes including Darey, Banky W and Omawumi, Cobhams who signed to Sony ATV in 2005 has over the years risen to be one of the best producers in the country.

The award winning producer recently met up with Adesope Olajide of Factory 78 in the UK for a concert held by Aaron T Aaron and friends in London….

Good day, how are you doing sir?

I’m very well thank you and you sir

Not bad at all we had to come here to meet you like we usually do when people come out to the UK, we come out and speak to you because we have been hearing a lot about you for years now so to be in the presence of Cobhams Asuquo, you know the great one like Banky W would say. How was your trip coming down?

Absolutely, I don’t know what you are talking about, my trip was good and I loved it.

You are a producer, musician, let’s take it back for a lot of people that have heard your music for a long time, this might actually be the first time people see and hear from the horse’s mouth. (Laughs) So Mr Cobhams tell us how you got into the industry, where did that fire come from?

(Sigh) In a matter of senses I think I was born to be a musician, express myself through music so I think I was born to use music as a tool, as a driving force to make my mark, say what it is you know have been called to establish my purpose on earth and I think I started music by puffing my cheeks in trying to play the tough five blues when I was around five, six and it progressed. I hate to say this but it’s true; a friend of mine Wrangler Rotimi stole his sister’s piano and brought it to me so I had to learn how to start playing the piano. I proceeded to play for the Catholic churches as an organist, at the age of nine I was playing the organ and you know other stuffs like that but I think my entry into the industry was through creating adverts materials for advertising agencies. The whole story began when I met Big Bamo from Maintain, Back then, he will decide to give me the chance to produce some songs and then I did ‘Catch cold’ and a couple of other songs so I guess it just started from there, I met Faze of the Plantation Boiz and a couple of others who thought my sample was different at the time. I heard a lot of music but I yearned for a different sound and I wanted the music that I heard to be represented in my country with our indigenous sound blended into it and I wanted a certain quality of music instituted into the system and there were the likes of Paul Play Dairo and OJB Jezreel were doing that so I guess I just rode on their wings, on their shoulders and have gone far in the industry.

You were once signed to Questionmark, was it as a musician, producer or a writer?

I was an in-house producer and writer for Questionmark for about a year, very interesting time in my life quite honestly, a time I’m grateful for.

That’s where you met a couple of people like Asa. Was that where the union between you and her came to be?

Actually that was where but I can say I actually took Asa to Questionmark because she and I were friends before Questionmark came into the scene. A friend of ours, a mutual friend Janet, who later went on to become Asa’s best friend and manager introduced us, brought us together and then you know Muyiwa Majek her then manager got interested in me working with her so we got together and then Questionmark came into the scene and it was the next big thing for all of us so we literally scampered there like little rats that came to cheese. So we were in there, you know that was the transformation point of our lives until Asa moved on to Naïve in  France and I moved on to start my own business Cobhams Asuquo Music Productions.

In the press here especially when we were reading stuffs online, on the internet, we found information that you also worked the Sony music international. Is that authentic or its just internet chatter?

I was signed into Sony ATV which is the publishing arm of Sony music in November 2005 as a songwriter, so it isn’t internet chatter, (laughs).

You know one aspect of your sound, your talents that surprises a lot of people is that you have not been visually impaired to disturb your productivity, your success in the industry or your line of work. Tell us the inspiration about that and how you channel such energy to be useful especially millions of people around the world that listen to your music?

I think my inspiration is straight and simple, God. I think God is the source of every inspiration whether or not we don’t choose to admit it; it doesn’t change the fact. I’m inspired by God through various means and through different people. I think if we should look at some things we all have our different forms of shortcomings or impairments from God. For instance, I don’t know that you can play golf, can you?

No
Great, there we have it.
I can’t play the organ as well


Yes, you can learn, who is to say technology in the next 15 years cannot make it possible for me to play golf so you think it is taking advantage of what you can do and you’re focusing on it but there is a lot that we can still do. For me I have decided to focus on the things that I can do and have observed that there is a lot that I can do so it’s just practice and practice and trust in God because that is the starting points.

Plus I’m a very positive person and I see results from all what I can do and results encourage you because you see positive things from it all and you know as it grows into a tree it gives you the effrontery, the audacity to try more. So I think that is what it is for me I think have seen my little things yield results so that’s what edged me on to try bigger things.

Another interesting part for music producers especially today in the United States R&B, Hip-Hop they usually have one young one that they’ve listened to, learned from. But looking at your work and reading stuff about you, I saw that yours is Classical music, you said something about the church and you also did Akpala Music as well. What were your influences when it came to production and music in general?

I think us as human beings, our products of influence in general and I have allowed myself to be influenced by so many varying opinions, sight ideologies, device and the rest. There was a time in my life when I was listening to Haruna Ishola, Aina Omowura, Atawewe and the likes of them and there been times in my life when I have listened to underground Hip-Hop like Guru and Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco, Nas, Common to everyday music Rihanna, Jay z, Beyonce, I’ve been influenced by the likes of Dr. Dre, Timbaland to classical music Tchaikovsky and the likes, I could go on and on Jazz music like Joe Sample, Macias Miller and the like. I mean I love music and have allowed myself to be influenced by it all. My family played a very integral role so did my father; he played a lot of music like Jimmy Cliff and all that and it really just drove me…. and I think this is something that has influenced me and has moved me into a different genre of music that I’m able to produce and we are creatures so we are able to sort of mimic and also improve that mimicry so that is how we learn to talk, to walk and also interact, to go to school and gain the knowledge that others have gained, we could step forward and I think I will try my best to put myself in that category. It’s not easy but it is what it is.

Absolutely I feel I’m in school and I’ve gone through R&B, Jazz and Hip-Hop, Apala music. I’m sure a lot of people would like to know Cobhams, who out there in the Afro beat scene or the internationally, tell us

Internationally do you mean the African circuit?

No let’s start with the international aspect.


That’s very tough, which international act am I feeling right now? I don’t know, there could be a lot of African acts in my mind right now that are international because I think they are breaking into that circuit. I’m definitely feeling Asa, Zamajobe. There’s this new, well I think she is. I don’t know, is she’s international? But I think she is because I just met her a few days and I’m feeling her music she is called Mutabi Sing, she’s from South Africa. You know I’m feeling her stuff and I think Lagbaja is an international musician by all standards and he is a major influence to my life, you know I feel his stuff. Who I’m I feeling? (Sigh) I don’t have a favourite person. I have moved from different points in my life, from Fred Hammond to Danny McCauley and Dan is someone I have a lot of regards for so I don’t know if there is any international act that I can mention whose name comes to mind you know, they are in number.

Now with the names you’ve mentioned, I’m sure a lot of people can see that there is a similarity in the artists that you’ve mentioned, first of all they are conscious musician, they play one or two instruments and they have strong vocals so basically what you are trying to say is a credible musician?

Music is an art, no matter how much you try to commercialize it. It is important to commercialize it so that it can have saleability so that you are not speaking a language that is ambiguous to everybody but music is still remains an art and there is something that distinguish a Caravaggio painting or a Leonardo da Vinci painting, I mean whatever painting from just everyday bubble gum gravity or regular work of art, music is still an art and I think that sacredness, that thing that makes it music should be respected and I respect it because that is why I do music and I respect other artists who for whatever reason tilts in that direction.

Fantastic, you are here in the UK; you are performing with one of Nigeria’s finest gospel act, Aaron T. How do you feel?


Yes. ‘Performing’ is a word that I’m a bit hesitant to use when I think of myself, doing what have been called to do what I’m supposed to do, which is sharing the world of gospel with the people through music, and just encouraging people, inspiring people. It’s a ministry, you are ministering to people, you are changing someone’s opinion; being a part of a process that changes someone’s life. So ministering in my mind is more appropriate, so I am ministering tomorrow with Aaron T. And you know I am excited because this is someone that have spoken to countless times and he has such a heart for God that’s amazing, especially in these times. We’re just sort of Prevaricate, you know a lot of people are prevaricate of thoughts, the way they say these things that are not necessarily true, about their faith, about their way of life. But Aaron for me is someone who I can trust because I’ve received countless of invitation from people in the U.K to do things, but for me it’s important that the heart is right, because you will face the consequences of your action at the end of the day. So Aaron is someone I’m so humbled by and encouraged to be doing this with. And everyone is proud of his team, from Gozie who I used know way back in secondary school, to Muyiwa Olanrewaju who is an icon and someone we all respect. So it’s an amazing opportunity for me and I’m excited about it.

Speaking about the heart, you’ve just been married couple of months ago.

Yeah. (Laughs)

Tell us about married life especially for someone that works so hard? You are always in the studio either working with artistes or producing music for yourself and producing for other people as well. So how are you settling into married life and how’s the Mrs Taking those long hours in the studio?


I have to say, the Mrs is the most beautiful, the most understanding and she is also completely special, and I think that’s what happens when you marry right. I don’t know any man has the wisdom to marry right, which is why it is important that God is involved in the whole process. I went into marriage taking certain things into consideration. Number one; there is no marriage built on the foundation of God  that will not make it through, and number two; it is important that you marry your friend. Number three; it is important that you marry for the right reasons and beauty is not exactly one of them, it may be a reason but it is not top priority. And this has nothing with me not being able to see. And trust me, because I have met and I’ve known beautiful women in my life.

She’s stunning
She’s absolutely amazing, I know that.


Laughs

You know what I mean. So trying to marry because of beauty is completely vain. So I think I’m in marriage for the right reasons and I absolutely love it. My wife inspires me; she’s also come to join our business. She used to work with one of the foremost telecommunications companies in Nigeria and she just resigned her position in the business just to join me in the business and I think it is a sacrifice that doesn’t come cheap. You don’t find that these days everywhere. So as far as timing or managing my time is concerned; I know when to work and I know when not to. No matter how busy it is, if get past a certain time; I’m out of that studio, because for me, family is important.  I have a role to play as a man and also head of my family and I have to inspire my kids, to lead them in the right direction, to teach them and to be there for my wife and make her feel special. And not to say I do have children. Laughs

You are speaking in like futurists term

Yes, I have time for my family no matter how busy I get, I break away once it’s time to pay attention to them and no matter I will get in the future, it is imperative for me. God is my provider and sustainer so it’s not about how much I want to burn the midnight oil; I did that enough when I was growing up as a man and before I got married. So I think it’s time for me to sit back, relax and kick it. That’s exactly what I’m doing right now.

Wow, that’s ‘Life 101’. The next thing is I can exactly see that your wife is doing a great job. Your pot belly is really showing.

I’ll do something about that.

Aaron T is a blessed artist. He sings fantastically well. People are going to see you on stage as well, you know I can’t wait to be there and I’m definitely looking forward it. You were talking about your business, you didn’t mention the name?
I run a business called Cobhams Asuquo Music Productions, CAMP for short. It’s an all-encompassing company. What we do is, we discover, nurture and develop talents out of Africa and introduce these talents to the international circuit. There’s Idacula, and he’s one talent that we’re presently managing. He’s absolutely amazing. And trust me when I say talent, I don’t just speak of the gift in because talent is not enough. There’s an amazing person, as well as a gifted guitarist and songwriter. We go out for unique and amazing people. Part of what we also do, is that we create contents for advertising agencies and we’ve worked for some of the best names. We’ve worked with from food and beverage companies to telecommunication companies, to banks; just general consumer product companies. The best in the biggest names out of Nigeria, out of Africa and internationally. And we’ve created contents for international brands. These are just some of the things we do under Cobhams Asuquo Music Productions.

Thank you very much, people would like to follow you and get you online, perhaps your music where can they do that.
My music perhaps that is interesting, this is what I have to say about my music because it’s kind of, I haven’t said it like this before but I have to come out to say this. So I’m saying this for the first time. I think I said it on Facebook. I’ve been working on my album and its due for release next year, first quarter of next year. It’s an amazing project if I say so myself, and it’s not because I’m working on it but because of the art behind it and the people that are behind it. It’s been recorded in my studios in Nigeria, and Houston. I’m working with some of the best hand. It’s just going to be amazing, it will be simple and it might disappoint some people, because it’s complete reflection of all the stuff I’ve created. It’s certainly not bubble gum music and it’s certainly not popular music, it is music that is out of my heart, it is music that is meant to bring about a change and create an atmosphere. So you will get that when that comes out. If you want to follow me on Facebook, the name is Cobhams Asuquo. And my twitter handle is Cobhams Asuquo. I would love to stay in touch.

Thank you very much for spending time with us.
I appreciate it.

We look forward to seeing you tomorrow, and the next time you come into the U.K please don’t be a stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment